There may be ways to avoid foreclosure. These are some of the steps to take when considering your options.
- Don't ignore the problem.
- Contact your lender as soon as you relize that you have a problem.
- Open and respond to all mail from your lender.
- Know your mortgage rights.
- Understand foreclosure prevention options
- Contact a HUD-approved housing coounselor.
- Prioritize your spending.
- Use your assets.
- Avoid foreclosure prevention companies
- Don't lose your house to foreclosure recovery scams.
These are some of the financial documents you may want to collect and be prepared to present when discussing ways to avoid foreclosure.
- Your Budget
- Check Stubs
- Bank Statements
- Additional Income Information
The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has toll-free telephone numbers and a web site.
TTY 800-877-8339United States Department of Housing and Urban Development